Thursday, April 2, 2009

Cemetery finds!

Well, we made it to Oakland Cemetery. It was the creepiest, oldest cemetery I have ever been to. LOVED IT! It is getting very overgrown even though there is a caretaker. We did find John J Budzien's headstone along with 2 others. It doesn't say "murdered" on the headstone but it does have the "Woodsmen seal" on the top of it. I took a digital picture of it but also recorded video of it and I read it out loud so we would know exactly what it said. It did have a different birth date on the headstone so I will have to look into that. One of the other headstones, I think is John's wife but again I will have to research that. I did stop and ask the creepy caretaker about the plot of 8 family members but only found 3 headstones. He said there probably was no other headstones as families ran out of money. So I did not find a headstone for Augusta Budzien. Then we were off to the Dallas Public Library. I did find the article on the incident that killed John Budzien. I also found his short obituary. I printed off both. Again, no obit for Augusta Budzien. It really puzzles me about her. I then went up to the 8th floor to the genealogy dept and found that they had Ship passenger lists by date and city of port. I found 8-13-1866 New York but did not find the ship Emil. At least it was a shot. I am still working that angle. I asked about criminal court records and the library only had civil cases on file. I guess I will have to research the case against the guy that hit John Budzien on-line. All and all it was a fairly productive day. After the library, we toured the 6th floor of the book depository where Lee Harvey Oswald shot President Kennedy. Very nice museum. Here is a fun fact that I just learned today...Did you know JFK was the one who created the "special forces" in the military? He sent some of our elite military over to southeast Asia to train them before we got involved in Vietnam. Some say if JFK had lived we probably would not have gotten involved in Vietnam. I guess we will never know. We also saw the two "X's" on the road that mark the spots where JFK took the bullets. Had to be 2 gunman once you see how far the shot is from the 6th floor depository. Tomorrow we go to qualifying at Texas Motor Speedway. We will be down on the INFIELD!!!! Should be a lot of fun as it will be 78 degrees and sunny! Well, back to my martini! I will be back blogging tomorrow. Love to all. Karen

1 comment: